The Chandler-Cleveland Motors Corp. was established in 1926 by consolidating the Chandler Motor Car and Cleveland Automobile companies, both of which were founded by Frederick C. Chandler (July 12th, 1874 - February 18th, 1945).
A native Clevelander, Chandler worked for the Cleveland Bicycle Co. of Henry A. Lozier, which began to make boats and later automobiles. In Jan. 1913, Chandler and several other Lozier executives organized the Chandler Motor Car company to produce a moderately priced 6-cylinder automobile and began production in July 1913. The company built 550 cars that sold for $1,785 each that year; production increased to 1,950 automobiles in 1914 and 7,000 in 1915. Chandler's financial success enabled it to expand its facilities in 1915, doubling production capacity to 15,000 automobiles in 1916. During World War I the company also made 10-ton artillery tractors for the army.
The success of the Chandler Motor Car Co. encouraged Chandler to organize the Cleveland Automobile Co. to produce a lower-priced automobile. Founded in Feb. 1919, the new firm began production in July with the Cleveland automobile, a 5-passenger touring car that sold for $1,385; 16,000 of them were made in 1920. Chandler Motor Car made 23,832 automobiles that year - the most of any car manufacturer in Cleveland. However, sales, production, and profits declined for both companies in 1921. The two firms consolidated as Chandler-Cleveland Motors Corp. in 1926, and production of the Cleveland car was discontinued. In December of 1928 Chandler-Cleveland was sold to the Hupp Motor Car Corp. of Detroit.
(text source: Wikipedia)
(source: John Carroll University)
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.