Founded in 1901 by Fernand Charron, Leonce Girardot and Emile Voigt the company was originally called C.G.V (Automobiles Charron-Girardot-Voigt) and based in Puteaux, Seine. In 1905 it had capital of 2 million franc. Girardot resigned in 1906 and the company was reformed as Automobiles Charron. Charron himself left in 1908 to join Clément-Bayard.
He rode Albert Clément bicycles and that introduced him to the motoring world. He proved he could be fast on cars, too, by winning the Marseille-Nice race in 1898 on Panhard, Paris-Amsterdam-Paris in 1898 on Panhard and he won the first Gordon Bennett race in 1900 for France also on a Panhard.
After Paris-Berlin (1901) he left racing. Together with his cycle-friends Girardot and Voigt, who both raced for Panhard as well, he founded the C.G.V. make in 1901.
Under that name they built racing cars which strongly resembling the Panhard racers of that time. Girardot drove without success a 9.9 litre racecar in the 1902 Gordon Bennett race and in 1903 C.G.V. built one of the world's first straight 8 cilinder engines.
After Girardot wrecked a car in the eliminating trials for the 1905 Gordon Bennett race, C.G.V. abandoned racing. In 1906 C.G.V. became a British company and Girardot left.
From 1907 onwards the cars were sold as Charrons. Charron left the company in 1912 to build the Alda car in Courbevoie. The Charron make existed until 1930.
The first models were from the CGV range including the huge 16,277 cc 75hp model.
In 1908 Charron introduced their own types but some of the CGV models were still listed up to 1912. The largest now was a 6782 cc 30hp and the smallest an 8hp 1205 cc twin cylinder. All the cars were available with shaft drive and the small 8hp had a dashboard radiator of the type made familiar by Renault. This was to feature across the range in 1909.
A six cylinder 3617 cc 30hp joined the range in 1910 and a new small 845 cc Charronette appeared in 1914.
After World War I the Charronette grew to 1057 cc and the radiator was moved in front of the engine. Larger cars included 2411 cc and 3402 cc types. Four wheel brakes came in 1925.
By the late 1920s production was running down and in 1930, the final year of production the range consisted of the 12/14CV from 1925, an enlarged Charronette and a six cylinder 1806 cc model.
(text source: Wikipedia)
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.