Elkhart Carriage Company logo.
Elkhart Carriage Company of Elkhart, Indiana had been in business for over 30 years before producing its first car.
The 30/35 hp Elkhart, which began production in 1905 and remained on the market until 1909. In 1909 the 4.2 liter Sterling appeared (it ceased production in 1911), followed in 1911 by the Komet.
The Elcar appeared in 1915, and was first offered in two models, a Lycoming-engined four and a Continental-engined six. A straight-eight, again with a Continental engine, was produced beginning in 1925. In 1930, the company began to use the complex Lever engine produced by the Reverend Alvah Powell, although only four Elcar-Levers were completed.
It next entered a lucrative contract with an operator in New York City, under which it would supply El-Fay taxis; the project ended suddenly when he was shot dead. A project to market the 1930 Elcar as a 1931 Mercer came to nothing, and the company folded after only two prototypes had been constructed.
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.