Gilbern cars were made in Llantwit, Pontypridd, Glamorgan, Wales between 1959 and 1973.
Gilbern Sports Cars (Components) Ltd was founded by Giles Smith and Bernard Friese and was one of the few cars to be made in Wales. The first car, the GT Mk 1 was initially available with either Austin-Healey Sprite or Coventry Climax engines and attractive 2+2 coupe bodywork. The chassis was fabricated from steel tubing and front suspension was initially from the Austin A35.
Later versions came with an MGA or MGB engine and coil sprung BMC rear axle. In 1966 a larger upmarket model, the Genie appeared, with 3 litre Ford V6 power. This in turn led to the Invader with improved chassis. The Invader was available as a complete car and an estate version was also made. The cars were expensive for the time and production ceased in 1973.
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.