Lloyd cars was a British motor manufacturer, founded by Richard Lloyd, based in Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England between 1936 and 1951.
The pre-war car was powered by a two-cylinder Villiers two-stroke engine of 347cc located at the back of the car and transmitted to the nearside rear-wheel with a chain. The four-wheel chassis featured all round independent suspension using transverse leaf springs. It was available as an open two-seater and unusually for a light car as a closed 3-seater. Production stopped on the outbreak of the Second World War with only a few being made. It was said to be capable of reaching 45 mph.
In 1946, the production restarted with a larger 654cc Lloyd-made engine. It was still a two-stroke but the bearings were pressure lubricated. The twin cylinder alloy unit was mounted transversely at the front and drove the front wheels. The chassis again had all independent suspension but now by coil springs, horizontal at the front and rack and pinion steering. With an overall length of 12 feet 3 inches and two or four-seater open bodywork the car was really too big for its engine and performance was poor. The car was also very expensive at ?480 in 1948. Roughly 600 cars were produced.
The make had no connection with the German Lloyd company who made cars between 1906 and 1914 later revived between 1950 and 1963.
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.