The National Motor Vehicle Company was an American manufacturer of automobiles in Indianapolis, Indiana between 1900 and 1924.
The company first concentrated on electric vehicles, making their first one, a runabout with tiller steering called the Style A, in 1900. They moved into internal combustion engined cars in 1903 with a two and four cylinder model both using engines made for them by Rutenber.
The 1904 National Tonneau was a tonneau model. It sold for US$2000. The single electric motor was situated at the rear of the car, producing 9 hp (6.7 kW). A 4-speed herring bone transmission was fitted. The armored wood-framed car could reach 15 mph (24 km/h).
For 1905, the two cylinder model was dropped and a six cylinder car with a circular radiator took its place. The last electric cars were made in 1906, and in 1907, National starting building its own engines.
Peak production for National was reached in 1915 with over 1800 cars made. The company changed its name in 1916 to the National Motor and Vehicle company, and in 1922, became part of the Associated Motor Industries group. However, sales dropped in the early 1920s and the company closed in 1924.
(text source: Wikipedia)
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.