Logo of Ursus factory between 1930 and 1939.
The Panstwowe Zaklady Inzynieryjne (National Engineering Works, PZInz) was a Polish pre-WWII arms industry holding and the main Polish manufacturer of vehicles, both military and civilian.
It was created by the Polish minister of industry Eugeniusz Kwiatkowski on March 19, 1928, out of several previously existing state-owned factories and scientifical institutes, among them the Centralne Warsztaty Samochodowe and the Ursus factory. It was Kwiatkowski's plan of reorganization and modernization of Polish arms industry that eventually led to the creation of PZInz, but also the Panstwowa Wytw?rnia Uzbrojenia (National Arms Works), Panstwowe Zaklady Lotnicze (modern PZL), Panstwowe Zaklady Optyczne (National Optical Works) and National Factory of Gunpowder and Explosives in Pionki.
Shortly after the outbreak of the World War II and the German occupation of Poland, the PZInz was confiscated by the German state, its factories dismantled and sent to Germany while a large part of the engineers either killed or sent to Germany as slave workers. After the Warsaw Uprising the Warsaw headquarters of the PZInz was blown up, not to be rebuilt after the war. In 1946 the Ursus works started to be rebuilt and eventually became a large tractor factory.
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.