Stoewer was a German automobile manufacturer before the World War II whose headquarters were in Stettin.
The first company was founded by the Stoewer brothers, Emil (lived 1873-1942) and Bernhard (1875-1937) in 1896 for manufacturing sewing machines in Stettin a.d. Oder (a former German city at the Oder river delta, south of the Baltic Sea, which is called Szczecin since 1945). In 1899, the Stoewer brothers founded the firm Gebruder Stoewer, Fabrik fur Motorfahrzeugen and started to produce automobiles. Their first automobile was the Grosser Motorwagen(Big Motor Vehicle), with 6.5 hp (4.8 kW) and 17 km/h maximum speed.
In 1908 Stoewers constructed Stoewer G4. This model was immensely successful - 1070 cars were built. In 1910, Stoewer cars were built under licence by Mathis of Strassburg. In 1916, the family-owned company was transformed into a limited company under the name of Stoewer-Werke AG, vormals Gebruder Stoewer.
In the mid-20's a new class of cars was introduced: the D-Types included D3, D9 and D10 with four-cylinder engines, as well as D5, D6 and D12 with six cylinders. Something special was in 1921 class D7 with a proprietary six cylinder aero engine with 120 HP. It was the strongest car in those days.
In 1928 the company started to build S8 and G14 models with eight cylinder engines. At the beginning of the 1930s Stoewers delivered their highlights: G15 Gigant, M12 Marschall and P20 Representant, each with eight cylinder engines, with 60 to 120 hp (45 to 90 kW) and 130 km/h maximum speed. The production of these cars had to be cancelled after 2,500 vehicles being produced due to worldwide economic troubles. In 1931 Stoewer constructed one of the first cars with front-wheel drive at all, class V5 25 hp (19 kW), 80 km/h maximum speed. The model named Greif Junior was built under the licence of Tatra. Its afterdecessor V8 Greif was the last car being constructed by Mr. Stoewer itself, class Arkona and Sedina were the last civilian cars produced by the company.
With the beginning of the World War II, Stoewer factory started to produce cars for the German Army as LEPKW class (Leichter Einheits-Personenkraftwagen). After the World War II, the Soviet Army seized the remaining production facilities, dismantled them and sent to Russia. The days of car manufacturing in this famous factory were over.
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.