Assorted posters from Riley.
Riley Pathfinder poster. The 2.5 litre Pathfinder is fondly remembered as the last genuine Riley as it was the last model to use a true Riley engine. With a top speed of 100 mph, it was widely used by British police. Launched in 1953 and available in black, maroon, green, blue or grey; production continued until 1957. The car in the background is a 1.5 litre RME. The original poster, featuring this evocative illustration of a mountain pass, would have hung in dealers' showrooms circa 1953. (available at Art Of Motoring)
Riley 1.5 poster. The motoring name of Riley reveals a chequered history. In 1890, William Riley began by making cycles, then motorbikes, cars and even aeroplane engines. Subsequent to a merger with BMC, the Nuffield Organisation purchased the Riley name for 1 Pound. Positioned between MG and Wolseley, most Riley models were actually re-badged versions of Austin/Morris designs. Potential purchasers would have been enticed by the original of this poster proudly displayed in BMC showrooms, circa 1960, when a new Riley 1.5 was 714 Pounds. The glamour of a polo match and ownership of this car was obviously synonymous in the mind of the original illustrator. (available at Art Of Motoring).