James N. Leitch Company logo.
The firm of James N. Leitch had been established in 1895 to produce millwork and carriage bodies in the white for some of Amesbury’s larger carriage manufacturers.
Leitch was a British-born engineer who had worked for the long-established Amesbury firm of Ellis & Son. Originally founded in 1867 as Huntington & Ellis.
Leitch decided to go into business for himself and along with a partner, James F. Irving, established the James N. Leitch Company in order to manufacture carriage millwork. Leitch also designed a number of novel convertible carriage bodies offered them in-the-white to a number of larger Amesbury builders.
Leitch’s Cedar St. plant was severely damaged by a 1913 fire that destroyed most of their stock of dried lumber and the firm appears to have vanished from the Amesbury scene at the same time.
A single known Leitch-built automobile body is known to exist, a dark blue touring car that graces a 1913 Locomobile that took part in some early Glidden Tour revivals.
©2004 Mark Theobald - All rights reserved.
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.