1919 Audi Typ C Alpensieger.
His life’s work was dedicated to developing the automobile into a truly efficient motor vehicle.
August Horch relocated his company August Horch & Cie., which had been established in 1899, to Zwickau on May 10, 1904. By the summer of that year, the first Horch built in Zwickau had left the factory, representing the start of 100 years of uninterrupted car manufacturing tradition in this town.
August Horch consolidated this tradition with his second company, founded in April 1910 under the name of Audi Automobilwerke GmbH, Zwickau. The DKW front-wheel-drive cars and the Auto Union’s “Four Rings” later became symbols for cars manufactured in Zwickau. In 1938, one in five German passenger cars was manufactured here, including many other legendary cars such as the Audi Type C Alpensieger, the DKW F1, the Horch Sport Cabriolets and the Auto Union 16- and 12-cylinder Silver Arrows.
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.