1985 Renault 5 Turbo 2.
|Search for Renault 5 Turbo 2 : 1985 on:|
A week doesn't go by when I am not on eBay looking for this car. The 1980s is an odd design period for cars and at the time, I was not much of a fan, with few exceptions.
The Renault 5 Turbo was one that to this day is of great interest to me. Perhaps because it is very difficult to find, and certainly in this condition, but keeping in mind that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just looking at this vehicle creates such a level of desire that it is almost troubling to me.
In some cases, especially the interior, is is a bit ugly, but in a good way. It is just a fantastic time capsule.
The Renault 5 Turbo featured a mid-mounted 1397 cc Cléon turbocharged engine placed behind the driver in mid-body in a modified Renault 5 chassis.
The first 400 production 5 Turbos were made to comply with Group 4 homologation.
A second version, named Turbo 2, was introduced using stock Renault 5 parts replacing many of light alloy components in the original 5 Turbo version.
The original 5 Turbo was in retrospect called "Turbo 1". The Turbo 2 was less expensive, but had nearly the same levels of performance.
• Engine: Turbocharged Inline 4
• Valvetrain: OHV
• Displacement: 1397 cc / 85.3 cu in
• Bore: 76.0 mm / 2.99 in
• Stroke: 77.0 mm / 3.03 in
• Compression: 7.0:1
• Power: 138.0 kw / 185.0 bhp @ 6000 rpm
• HP per litre: 132.43 bhp per litre
• Torque: 216.0 nm / 159.3 ft lbs @ 3250 rpm
• Drive wheels: Mid Engine / RWD
• Body: frame unit - steel / Fiberglass Fenders & Hood
• Front brakes: Vented Discs w/ Vacuum Assist
• Front brake size: 260 mm / 10.2 in
• Rear brake size: 260 mm / 10.2 in
• Front tire size: 190/55VR-340
• Rear tire size: 220/55VR-365
• Steering: Rack & Pinion
• Weight: 1012 kg / 2230 lbs
• Wheelbase: 2430 mm / 95.7 in
• Front track: 1346 mm / 53.0 in
• Rear track: 1474 mm / 58.0 in
• Length: 3664 mm / 144.3 in
• Width: 1752 mm / 69.0 in
• Height: 1323 mm / 52.1 in
• Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
• Gear ratios: 3.36:1, 2.06:1, 1.38:1, 1.06:1, 0.87:1
• Final drive: 3.89:1
• Top speed: 202.8 kph / 126.0 mph
0 - 60 mph 6.7 seconds
0 - 100 mph 19.3 seconds
0 - 1/4 mile 15.0 seconds
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.