1992 Porsche 928 GTS.
|Search for Porsche 928 GTS : 1992 on:|
"The 928 is a diamond that will shine brightly with years to come," was the view of Ulrich Bez in his capacity as Head of Development at Porsche in 1989.
Perhaps he had at that time some insight into model year 1992, which heralded a new high point in the development of the Porsche 928: The 1992 GTS proved to be the most powerful and imposing example of this model range to date. A modified crankshaft with a stroke of 85.9 mm increased displacement in the V eight-cylinder engine to 5.4 litres. The compression ratio climbed to 10.4:1.
Thanks to numerous other refinements, including the optimised map-tuning of the fuel injection and ignition control modules and the use of spark plugs with three ground electrodes, this model delivered a staggering 350 bhp at 5,700 rpm. Its torque was even more impressive, coming in at 500 Nm (370 ftlb.) at 4,250 rpm.
Together with the chassis modifications as well as the 70-mm wider rear track, the 17-inch light alloy wheels and the reworked brake system made for a superior driving performance. "The 928 GTS handles high speeds impressively and authoritatively" was the view of trade magazine, auto motor und sport, also adding the following praise: "Straight-ahead tracking does not suffer, the brakes have enormous reserves and even tight motorway corners can be mastered with speed and in complete safety."
• Engine: V8 engine, water-cooled, four overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder
• Power: 350 bhp (257 kW) at 5,700 rpm
• Displacement: 5397 ccm
• Fuel system: LH Jetronic, tank capacity: 86 litres
• Transmission: Four-speed automatic or five-speed manual transmission
• Chassis: Integral body frame with front independent double wishbone suspension, coil springs, hydraulic telescopic shock absorbers, stabiliser, rear independent wheel suspension on upper and lower wishbones, vibration control on the lower wishbones to compensate for changes in track, coil springs, hydraulic telescopic shock absorbers, stabiliser
• Dimensions and weight:
Wheelbase: 2,500 mm
Length: 4,520 mm
Width: 1,890 mm
Height: 1,282 mm
Weight: 1,620 kg
• Performance: 275 km/h
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.