Front grill Leyland emblem from a 1953 Comet 90. (source: Martin Alford)
The origin of truck-building in Leyland can be traced back to two men – James Sumner and Henry Spurrier, who together formed ‘The Lancashire Steam Motor Company’ in 1896.
In 1907 the company absorbed the steam wagon builder Coulthards of Preston, adopting the name of Leyland Motors Limited.
1912 was a year which was to open up the military market for Leyland as their 3-tonner, commonly known as the ‘RAF-type’, was to become the standard subsidy vehicle.
The First World War had a profound effect on Leyland Motors and the company concentrated on building 5,932 vehicles for the British forces.
The 1950s saw a massive expansion of Leyland Motors, but the 1970s were a challenging period for Leyland, and in 1987 Leyland Trucks was merged with DAF of the Netherlands to form Leyland DAF.
Despite efforts to save the company, receivers were called in on February 2nd, 1993.
In 1996 PACCAR acquired DAF and in 1998 Leyland Trucks.
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.